The City National Bank of Sulphur Springs is the oldest institution in Hopkins County. The Bank was established in 1889 and services Hopkins, Wood and surrounding counties.
The original lot on the corner of the Sulphur Springs square and Connally Street was purchased at a cost of $3,350.00 and the two-story building, which housed the bank until 1968, was built at a cost of $5,390.00. The original vault door is still in use today and is in perfect working order.
The first President was J. J. Dabbs who only served two years. The next President was W. B. Womack, who turned the presidency over to his son W. O. Womack in 1900. In 1931, long time employee, W. W. Jones, Sr. was elected president. He would serve the bank for the next 35 years.
W.W. Jones, Jr. was employed in various capacities beginning in 1931 and was elected President to succeed his father in 1966. He held that position until 1985 when the bank was sold to local investors. The bank had $63 million in assets in 1985. In 1993, City National Bank opened a new branch in Winnsboro, Texas, starting our association with Wood County.
In 1998 City National Bank acquired First National, Sulphur Springs, and opened our Southtown Branch, to better serve our customers in Hopkins County. In 2000, we opened a separate Mortgage Branch on South Broadway, in Sulphur Springs. We continued our expansion into Wood County with our acquisition of First State Bank of Hawkins, with an additional branch in Holly Lake in 2004. Also, in 2004, City National Bank acquired two more Wood County Branches in Yantis and Quitman, from Franklin Bank of Mount Vernon. In March of 2011 City National Bank acquired 1st National Bank of Mineola to further serve our customers in Wood County. City National Bank had $435 million in assets as of July 31, 2013. We look forward to serving our customers in years to come.